One of my most beloved collections in my makeup stash are my lipsticks. I strongly believe in “The Lipstick effect” and the power a swipe of colour has on the complexion, an outfit and your mood!
The beauty industry is forever reinventing the wheel when it comes to cosmetics staples. We have experienced an onslaught of new variations in the foundations category in the last few years including the new trend for BB’s, CC’s and DD’s, tinted moisturisers, mousse foundations, the list goes on…
Now it would seem the trusty lipstick is getting some reinvention attention. I am talking about my new current obsession, The Liquid Lipstick. With the matte lip being throughly on trend, I am always trying out new formulations looking for “the one” that stays puts, is highly pigmented and doesn’t dry out my lips. Liquid lipsticks often come in lip gloss style packaging with a doe foot applicator due to their liquid nature. Once applied the liquid formula dries down to a matte finish. Many promise long wear as well.
Below are a selection I am currently loving including their pros and cons…
Guerlain L’Xtrait in Orgueil
This was the first liquid lipstick I ever tried and fell head over heels in love. The Guerlain L’Xtrait colour is so sexy, a dark plummy pink with vampy undertones, this liquid lipstick makes my lips look massive as well! This product, despite its obvious attraction, is the least matte of the three here. You can read my original post on this product here.
- highly pigmented
- very moisturising
- makes lips look really full
- amazing packaging with built-in mirror
- high price point
- doesn’t ever fully dry and is prone to transferring
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Lipstick in Velvet 01
This was a recent drugstore purchase from Bourjois which I have been dying to try out. They offer a range of 6 colours, which if I am honest, wasn’t that inspired by. However the hue Velvet 01 caught my eye. This lipstick dries down to a pinky red as you can see in the photo, so not at all like the brownish red in the bottle. The formula isn’t that pigmented so wait for each layer to dry before adding another to reduce transfer. This has a really unique, true velvet matte finish.
- easy to apply
- dries really quickly
- true matte velvet finish
- Relatively low price point
- needs 3 layers to build up to full colour
- colour not the same in application as in the bottle
Lime Crime Velvetine in Wicked
Now we are entering Pre Fall Fashion I am already purchasing more wintry coloured cosmetics. This is my most recent lipstick purchase and I am fully obsessed. Having posted a #selfie on Instagram this week you guys were gagging to know what the name of this product is. Lime Crime are not widely available in the UK, so it can be hard getting your makeup mitts on their products. I finally found Wicked for £13.50 from here. The formula is highly pigmented, dries fast and stays put all day with no dryness or transferring what so ever. I am so impressed I will be buying one in every colour.
- highly pigmented
- drys fast
- no transfer
- lasts all day
- not widely available in UK
- bleeds after 7 hours without concealing the lip lip prior to application
Style Lobsters tips when applying Liquid Lipstick
- Always dab in between coats to ensure quick drying time
- Use booth sides of the doe foot applicator nib, the other side is good for going around the lip line
- Not very adept at precision? Use a similar colour lipliner to keep the edges neat
- To avoid bleeding of long wear lipsticks dab concealer around the lip line before application
- Don’t want a full opaque lip? dab the product on for a petal stained lip
Do you have a favourite liquid matte lipstick I haven’t mentioned? I would love to know which ones you rate or hate. Leave you comments below.